Attributed to Francesco Mochi (Montevarchi, Tuscany, 1580 - Rome, 1654)
Sculpted ivory figure. 43 x 36 x 20 cm.
Francesco Mochi was a Tuscan sculptor and medalist who, according to "Enciclopèdia Catalana", can be considered the initiator of Italian Baroque sculpture. His most famous works can be found in Italian squares, monuments and churches, such as "Saint Veronica" (1629 - 1640), probably his most ambitious project, in the Crossing of Saint Peter’s Basilica; the equestrian monuments of "Ranuccio Farnese" and "Alessandro Farnese", both in Piazza Cavalli in Piacenza; or the "Saints Peter and Paul" in Porta del Popolo, Rome.
Part of his legacy is also preserved in museums, such as his first major work, the "Annunciation" (1603), now at the Museo dell'Opera in Orvieto; or the marble bust of "Cardinal Antonio Barberini, the Younger" (c. 1629), at the Toledo Museum of Art, in Ohio.