Description du lot 21
Voyages de Corneille Le Brun par la Moscovie, en Perse et aux Indes orientales (...). A Amsterdam, Chez frères Wetstein, 1718. 2 vol. in-4, cherry full calf-leather morocco, spine ribbed, red edges (modern binding)
Very rare and superb work, appreciated for its intricate iconography, drawn from life, and well reproduced intaglio, announcing more than 320 engravings intaglio, including: the cover, portrait of the author, large vignette engraved at the dedication, 3 folding maps, more than 260 engravings divided amongst 115 plates including double and folding pages, 42 large vignettes in the texts (types, scenes, ships, costumes, ceremonies, natural history, views of cities or speci c paces, etc). Amongst the main folding plates, the views of Moscow, Persepolis, Ispahan are highly appreciable.
Voyages de Corneille Le Brun par la Moscovie, en Perse et aux Indes orientales (...). A Amsterdam, Chez frères Wetstein, 1718. 2 vol. in-4, plein basane maroquinée cerise à l’imitation, dos à nerfs orné, tranches rouges (reliure moderne)
Très rare et magni que ouvrage, apprécié pour sa riche iconographie, dessinée d’après nature et bien reproduite en taille-douce, annonçant près de 320 gravures en tailles douces, dont : frontispice, portrait de l’auteur, grande vignette gravée à la dédicace, 3 cartes dépliantes, plus de 260 gravures réparties sur 115 planches dont à double page et dépliantes, 42 grandes vignettes dans le texte (types, scènes, navires, costumes, cérémonies, histoire naturelle, vues de villes ou de lieux en particulier, etc). Parmi les grandes planches dépliantes, on appréciera particulièrement les vues de Moscou, Persépolis, Ispahan.
« Voyageur et peintre originaire de La Haye, Corneille Le Bruyn (1652-1726) passa près de 27 ans à courir le monde. Elève de Theo- door van der Schuer, il se rendit d’abord en Italie en 1674 et resta deux ans à Rome. Puis il passa onze mois à Livourne, dans l’attente d’un navire hollandais pour Smyrne : on a émis l’hypothèse qu’il agissait peut-être comme espion, d’où ce séjour prolongé dans un port sans grand intérêt pour un peintre. Cette mission secrète lui aurait peut-être fourni les moyens de nancer son premier voyage. En
1678, il s’embarqua pour un voyage de sept ans en Orient visitant notam- ment plusieurs îles de la mer Egée, Constantinople, l’Egypte et la Palestine. Il s’arrêta à Venise sur le chemin du retour et s’y établit pour huit ans, au service du peintre bavarois Johann Karl Loth dit Carlotto. De retour en Hollande en 1693, après 15 ans d’absence et désormais reconnu comme peintre, Le Bruyn fut encouragé par les bourgmestres de Denver et d’Amsterdam à publier le récit de ses voyages. Le livre, paru en 1698, fut un succès. Repris par le désir de découvrir de nouveaux horizons, Le Bruyn repartit en 1701 pour un voyage qui devait durer huit ans et le mener en Russie, en Perse et dans les Indes néer- landaises. Le récit de ce second voyage, paru en 1708, n’obtint pas le même succès et l’on reprocha même à son auteur des inexactitudes. Il répondit en 1714 par un pamphlet dirigé principalement contre Kaempfer et Chardin, qui se trouve traduit ici. »
cf. la longue et belle notice consacrée à ces relations par Michel Schlup dans ses Voyageurs au Levant et dans la grande Asie, pp. 79-109).
Frais de vente
Des frais de ventes s'ajouteront à l'adjudication.Consultez les conditions de la vente
Lieu et date de la vente Private collections (Russian Art) chez Hermitage Fine Art
SESSION 1 / PRIVATE COLLECTIONS FRIDAY NOVEMBER 23, 2018 - 14:00
SESSION 2 / RUSSIAN ART FRIDAY NOVEMBER 23, 2018 - 17:00
SESSION 3 / OLD MASTERS SATURDAY NOVEMBER 24, 2018 - 14:00
SESSION 4 / ANTIQUE ARMS & MILITARIA SATURDAY NOVEMBER 24, 2018 - 16:00
SESSION 5 / NUMISMATICS & OBJECTS OF VERTU SATURDAY NOVEMBER 24, 2018 - 17:00
SESSION 6 / MODERN & CONTEMPORARY ART TUESDAY NOVEMBER 27, 2018 - 19:00
Exhibition Preview : THURSDAY NOVEMBER 22, 2018 AT 18:00
Exhibition : FRIDAY NOV 23 & SATURDAY NOV 24 10:00 - 13:00 MODERN & CONTEMPORARY : SUNDAY NOV 25 & MONDAY NOV 26 12:00 - 16:00 CONTEMPORARY COCKTAIL : TUESDAY NOV 27 18:00
Excl. Taxes : 27% + VAT
LIVE + 3% sup
Frais de vente : 27% HT
LIVE + 3% sup
In addition to the hammer price up to and including 250.000 EUR, the Buyer shall also pay a premium of 27% + VAT.
Buyer’s premium rate payable on the hammer price in excesse of 250.000 EUR up to and including 2.500.000 EUR – 21.5% + VAT.
Buyer’s premium rate payable on the portion of the hummer price in excess of 2.500.000 EUR – 12.5% + VAT.
This amount will be added to the final bid. Please note that all Lots purchased through the services of online sales and auctions such as DROUOT Live, The-saleroom.com, Invaluable.com, Auction.fr, Lot-tissimo.de and Bidspirit. will be subject to an additional charge of 3%+ VAT of the hammer price.
En cas d’enchère Live, si votre enchère est gagnante : 3% de commission supplémentaire.
Pour tout renseignement, merci de contacter le +377 9 777 39 80 / email@example.com
Contacter la maison de vente.
Informations Maison de vente
Hermitage Fine Art
Le Park Palace, 25 Avenue de la Costa
Conditions de vente
Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions apply to auctions conducted by Madam Claire Notari, baili in Monaco, and shall apply mutatis mutandis to any private sale.
1 In the Terms and Conditions, the words and phrases listed below have the following meanings:
- “Baili ” – Madam Claire Notari, baili in Monaco.
- “Organizer” – SARL HERMITAGE FINE ART
- “Catalogue” – Any advertisement, brochure, price list and other publications.
- “Expenses” incurred at the time of sale of any Lot, the fees and expenses incurred by the Organizer for insurance, packaging, transportation, storage, eventual restoration and framing, taxes and various expenses and all other VAT related costs.
- “Hammer price” – Price in Euros of the Lot, which is awarded to the Buyer.
- “Lot” – Any item presented with the intent that it be auctioned.
- “Purchase Price” – Hammer price plus all Expenses, VAT, additional costs and expenses in Euros owed by the Buyer in default in accordance with Clause 14.
- “Sales Proceeds” – The net amount due to the Seller consisting of the Hammer Price minus the commis- sion owed by the Seller to the Organizer in any capacity, and generated in any way whatsoever.
- “VAT” – Value Added Tax
- “Fees” – The buyer shall pay the Organizer, in addition to the Hammer Price of each Lot, a premium of 32,4% of the nal bid, including VAT. Please note that all Lots purchased through the services of online sales and auctions such as Drouot Digital, The-saleroom.com, Invaluable.com, Auction.fr, Lot-tissimo.de and Bidspirit.com but also our own platform, will be subject to an additional charge of 3%+ VAT of the hammer price. (see clause 13.4.).
2. The Baili sells as the agent for the Seller and is not responsible for any mistakes made by the Buyer or the Seller.
3. Despite the e orts to ensure the accuracy of the description of each Lot in the Catalogue, nor the Baili nor the Organizer do not guarantee that such a description is accurate. Any statements other than printed in the Catalogue, relating to, but not limited to, authenticity, provenance, origin, age, date, condition, esti- mated selling price, or quality of any Lot, is a matter of opinion, and neither the Baili the nor its servants or agents shall be held liable for the accuracy of any given opinion. No person is authorized by the Organizer to make whatever statement unless already printed in the Catalogue.
4. The Baili or the Organizer, if instructed by a potential Buyer, may accept bids on his or her behalf, provided that neither the Baili nor its employees or agents shall be held liable for negligence or error in the execution or non-execution of such orders.
5. The Baili reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse admission to any person within its premises or attendance at its auctions.
6. The Baili reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse a bid, to divide any Lot, to combine two or more Lots, to withdraw any Lot from the auction and in case of con ict to place back any Lot for sale and increase the bid as it suits him or her.
7. Nor the Baili nor the Organizer shall not be held liable for injury, damage or loss of any kind whatsoever, su ered by any person while he or she is at the premises of the exhibition and sale, except in the case of death or injury caused by the negligence of the Baili , its employees and agents.
8. Any notice given by the Baili addressed to the Seller, Buyer, or potential Buyer, may be delivered by hand or sent by mail, telex or fax, and shall be deemed received:
a) Upon delivery, if delivered by hand.
b) Within 2 hours following the transmission during a business day, if sent by telex or fax.
c) Within 48 hours following the postmarked date, if the mail is sent to the same country, and within 7 days if it is sent abroad.
9. 9.1 Any transaction subject to these Terms and Conditions and any matters related thereto shall be sett- led by Monegasque law and all parties concerned shall refer themselves to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Monegasque courts.
9.2 The rights of reproduction of any written content and illustrations referring to Lots shall remain at all times the absolute property of the Organizer and shall not be used, even partly, by any person without prior consent of the Organizer.
10. Any person wishing to bid shall be required, before the sale, to complete a “registration form” with the Baili and Organizer. He or she shall provide the Baili and Organizer a photo ID as well as his or her bank references. The duly completed form, signed and dated, will be returned to the Baili before the start of the sale and a registration number shall be assigned to each potential bidder. A bidder is only allowed to bid if he or she holds a registration number and provided that he or she is aware of the catalogue, which contains these general terms and conditions of sale to which the Baili and Organizer explicitly refer to. The act of bidding will automatically entail that the bidder has read, understood and accepted the said terms and conditions.
11. THE BAILIFF
11.1 The sale shall be carried out by Madam Claire Notari, Baili of Monaco, who will announce the Ham- mer Price, ensure that the bidding is properly carried out, and generally will take all necessary measures in maintaining order during the Sale.
11.2 The Baili reserves the right, in its sole discretion, and without any obligation for justi cation of his or her decision, to continue or stop the sale, to remove one or more Lots, to accept or refuse a bid, to proceed with any split, joining or withdrawal of the Lots.
11.3 Generally, the Baili has the authority to make any decision in order to resolve any dispute arising during the Sale.
11.4 The Baili and the Organizer explicitly reserve the right to make any statement before the opening of the sale or prior to the auctioning of a Lot, referring to changes, descriptions, statements, details in the Catalogue or these Terms and Conditions of Sale; these modi cations shall be imposed on the bidder. 11.5 The Baili shall notify the bidders before the sale begins of the conditions of the Hammer Prices including the additional incurred fees.
11.6 The Baili can accept bids from any person present in the room. He or she may also take orders from bidders not present once they have been given to the employees of the Organizer by phone, telex, fax, or by any other written order and approved by the Organizer and the Baili . In any case, the latter shall not be held liable for negligence, error or mistake in the execution of orders. In all cases, the Organizer and the Baili will not be held responsible for the non-execution for any reason whatsoever, of an order that they have received.
12.1 Auctions are conducted in Euros. The Baili and the Organizer reserve the right to install a currency conversion table but shall decline all responsibility in the event of failure or display error. Only the amount of the last bid, as expressed by the Baili , shall be taken into consideration.
12.2 Each bidder shall be deemed and presumed to have acted on his or her own behalf, unless before the sale, he or she has explicitly brought to the attention of the Baili and the Organizer in writing that he or she will be bidding on behalf of a third party, which has been approved by the Baili and the Organizer. 12.3 In the case of dispute with the third party, the bidder and the third party shall both be held accountable for the bidding.
13. AUCTION SALE
13.1 The highest and last bidder that is accepted by the Baili shall be declared the successful purchaser; he or she shall be required to make a payment in the manner outlined below.
13.2 At the time of the announcement of the hammer price, the Buyer shall immediately disclose to the agents of the Baili the number he or she has been assigned. The Organizer or the Baili explicitly reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to immediately place back the Lot for sale with no possibility of appeal from the highest bidder.
13.3 In case of dispute, the notary that is the Baili , has the right to rescind the sale and to immediately place back the Lot concerned for auctioning.
13.4 In addition to the hammer price up to and including 250.000 EUR, the Buyer shall also pay a premium of 27% + VAT (32.4% including VAT)
Buyer’s premium rate payable on the hammer price in excesse of 250.000 EUR up to and including 2.500.000 EUR – 21.5% + VAT (25.8% including VAT)
Buyer’s premium rate payable on the portion of the hummer price in excess of 2.500.000 EUR –
12.5% + VAT (15% including VAT)
This amount will be added to the nal bid. Please note that all Lots purchased through the services of online sales and auctions such as Drouot Digital, The-saleroom.com, Invaluable.com, Auction.fr, Lot-tis- simo.de and Bidspirit.com but also our own platform will be subject to an additional charge of 3%+ VAT of the hammer price.
14.1 The hammer price and the abovementioned amount in section 13.4 shall be immediately paid; howe- ver, the Seller can give Madam Claire Notari the right to grant, in its sole discretion, the possibility for the successful purchaser to pay the hammer price and additional charges mentioned above by bank transfer. In any case, the payment must absolutely occur within one week (5 working days) after the auction with the Organizer’s Monegasque banking institution.
14.2 In case of non-execution or of partial execution of the obligations borne by the successful purchaser under these Terms and Conditions, particularly in the case of non-payment of the hammer price and additional charges or in the case of partial payment within one week (5 working days) following the sale, provided that the Lot has not been immediately placed back for auctioning during the concerned vacation, the Organizer reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to exercise the following rights and actions:
- To demand de nitive compensation by way of penalty clause, a percentage of 0.5% per day late on the price or a fraction of the unpaid price and additional fees until full payment;
- To demand for compensatory damages, which shall not only cover any loss arising from the resale of the Lot in question, but also the expenses of such a resale, as well as damages su ered by the Baili and the Organizer;
- To achieve the compensation between the amounts owed by the Buyer with all funds held or which may come to be held by the Organizer on behalf of the Buyer.
15. TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
The transfer of ownership of a Lot in favor of the Buyer shall only take place after full payment of the Hammer Price and abovementioned additional fees. However, upon auction sale ( nalized by the Baili ’s hammer blow), all risks relating to the Lot will be transferred to the successful purchaser in full and without reservation.
16. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BUYER
16.1This list not being restrictive, the successful purchaser shall be solely responsible for the loss, theft, partial or total destruction, or damage which may occur between the auction sale and the transfer of ownership after full payment of the Hammer Price and additional fees.
16.2 The successful purchaser shall be required to undertake at his expense, the withdrawal of the Lot of which he has become the owner, under section 14, within 5 working days of the auction sale.
16.3 Likewise, all charges for storage and insurance purposes that have been put forward by the Organizer for the time period between the auction sale and the payment of the hammer price and additional fees (transfer of ownership), shall remain the successful purchaser’s responsibility and shall be paid at the time of payment of the hammer price and additional charges.
16.4 In the case of uncollected Lots by the Buyer within the time period stipulated in Clause 16.2, the Organizer reserves the right to arrange for the removal of the Lots at the risk and expense of the Buyer, as well as the shipment under the same terms and conditions to Monaco, France or any other country speci ed by the Buyer.
17. CONDITION OF THE LOTS
The Lots are sold in the same condition in which they were presented at the time of sale and no action shall be exercised against the Baili or the Organizer for aws or hidden defects a ecting the Lot that is to be sold, regardless of the signi cance of the aw or defect. It will be up to the potential bidders, prior to the Auction during the public exhibition of the Lots for sale, to check the condition, quality and authenticity of the Lots.
18. temporary importation
18.1 All lots marked with symbol + are in the free port and are subject to import tax, the buyer intending to import them within European Union should be aware that import tax will be due on hammer price and shall be paid to the organizer in addition to other fees (eg: 5.5% for antics and artworks in Monaco).
18.2 Any other lots are in free circulation in EU.
18.3 Buyer is responsible for checking and ful lling all conditions of the transportation of the acquired lots to the nal destination, including but not limited to checking the import status of the lots, and regulations for importation at destination.
19.EXPORT OF LOTS
Due to Monaco being part of the French Customs Union, exports outside of Monaco undergo the same rules and regulations as those existing in France. Any Lot coming from the Customs Union or a bene ciary of temporary importation, if it remains in the Customs Union, may be removed upon presentation of proof of payment of the Purchase Price. On the other hand, if the successful purchaser intends to export the Lot outside of the Customs Union, it will be up to him or her, and under his or her full and sole responsibility, to perform all the necessary procedures and formalities required by the law in force. Under no circumstances shall the Organizer or Baili be pursued for non-compliance or completion of the said formalities.
20. ORGANIZER’S MANDATE
The Organizer carries the role of agent of his or her mandate, which gives him the authorization to sell one or more Lots. Under this capacity, neither the Organizer nor the Baili shall be part of the contract binding their mandate and Seller to the Purchaser: therefore neither the Organizer nor the Baili shall be held res- ponsible if one of the parties fails to ful l any of the obligations stipulated in the contract.
The sale as well as these Terms and Conditions are explicitly regulated by Monegasque law. Any dispute relating to the sale or these Terms and Conditions will be subject to the jurisdiction of the Monegasque courts. Lire plus